Bridge 48, Oakgrove
48A is a modern foot bridge installed on 20th October 1998. It was
opened for use on 14th December 1998 when it was officially opened
by the local MP, Sir Nicholas Winterton.
Bridge 48A replaced a nearby
swing bridge hole which has been redundant for many years. It is
located about halfway between br.47 and br.49 at
Oakgrove (Fool's Nook), close by the lengthsman's cottage.
48A is a compromise in that it provides a footpath crossing in place
of that which was lost at the old bridge 48 as well as providing
access to the road for the occupants of the cottage. They used to
use the pontoon bridge, pictured right, which finally gave up early
in 1998. For eight months the people living at the cottage had to
walk the half mile to/from Fool's Nook.
to the foot bridge is Oakgrove lengthsman's cottage. This was actually
built by the company that built the nearby Macclesfield to Leek road
in the mid 1820's. Because the canal was being planned at the same
time, the cottage was set back from the road so that it could be
sold on to the Macclesfield Canal Company once the road builders
had finished and no longer had a use for it.
Once owned by BW, the cottage is now in private ownership. The last
missing milestone was found in the garden when the cottage was refurbished
- covering the cess pit!